Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Camaraderie

Though I'd choose the life of a 3rd or 4th year, doing rotations, any day over classwork, the classroom had it's perks. Or one perk, I should say: camaraderie. Medical school (not unlike college swimming) is so time-consuming, and miserable and tough at times, that only the people experiencing it with you can truly help. I had forgotten how nice it was to feel that validation; to know that I have chosen the right path, and we all have to get through these next few years.

The group of girls that I bonded with all went separate ways after 2nd year (though, I guess technically Leslie and I live in the same city, but she's in Bonnor, so it might as well be out of town...) This weekend, we all came back. We talked about our experiences, good and bad, our future plans, and let's not forget, class gossip. I cannot even describe how wonderful it was to see these girls, see how far we've come, and to be reassured that not only will it all end, but we will be happy with our decision to pursue this career.

Now don't go getting the wrong impression. I love what I am doing. I feel happy at the end of everyday. The same as when I was swimming. But that doesn't mean that the day wasn't mentally or physically challenging. Guess I am just a glutton for punishment.

No comments: