Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Supermom?

Because I am in medical school, studying for boards, interviewing for residencies and now have a newborn and a 2 year-old, the term "supermom" has been thrown around quite a bit. I would like to clear the air on that one. First, and foremost, I could do none of this, if it weren't for my husband. He is working full/overtime and taking on photography projects, as well as coming home and taking care of a house, 2 kids, 2 dogs and a wife in medical school. On top of all that I pawn off to Matt, I frequently dump Curtis and/or Brock off with available family. We are talking, someone is watching one or both of the boys for at least a few hours, at least 2 days a week. Brock also has been attending daycare part-time so that I may study. So, if having a very loving father for a husband, and a huge, overly helpful, local family is the definition for "supermom", than yes, I am it.

The only credit I give myself is the ability to stay sane, and perhaps even thrive off of the chaos. But even this is just the personality I was born with. I have done some research, and decided that I am technically "Hyperthymic" (becoming "Hypomanic" upon caffeine consumption). Wikipedia describes this personality type in this manner:

Hyperthymic temperament (from the Ancient Greek θυμός for "spiritedness") is characterized by a personality style or set of personality traits that include

  • increased energy and productivity
  • short sleep patterns
  • competitive
  • vivid, active, extroverted
  • self assured/self confident
  • strong willed
  • extremely conversational
  • breaking social norms
  • very strong libido
  • attention-loving
  • low threshold for boredom
  • generous and spendthrift
  • emotion-sensing
  • cheerful and jovial
  • unusual warmth
  • expansive
  • robust and tireless
  • irrepressible, infectious quality
Individuals with hyperthymic temperament are often seen as strong, energetic, productive, well-respected, and are very often the leaders of the social network; the alpha.

Now, after my morning espresso, here is what Wikipedia has to say:

Hypomania (literally, below mania) is a mood state characterized by persistent and pervasive elevated (euphoric) or irritable mood, as well as thoughts and behaviors that are consistent with such a mood state. Individuals in a hypomanic state have a decreased need for sleep, are extremely outgoing and competitive, and have a great deal of energy. However, unlike with full mania, those with hypomanic systems are fully functioning, and are often actually more productive than usual. Specifically, hypomania is distinguished from mania by the absence of psychotic symptoms and by its lower degree of impact on functioning. Hypomania is sometimes credited with increasing creativity and productive energy. A significant number of people with creative talents have reportedly experienced hypomania and attribute their success to it. Classic symptoms of hypomania include mild euphoria, a flood of ideas, endless energy, and a desire and drive for success. A lesser form of hypomania is called hyperthymia.

So, some of you may think I am crazy, and perhaps I am. But I personally think that I am just me.

No comments: