Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What you know

As I was making my bed (for the one of three times I will actually do that this year), I wondered to myself, how many people really know how to make a bed?  Obviously, my good friend Katie does, as she gave us monogrammed sheets for a wedding gift, and the monogram is printed so that it shows when you fold the sheet down.  And that means, you have to put the sheet on upside-down...did you know that?  You should sleep sandwiched between the "nice" side of the sheets. Or, that when addressing a couple, you put the "Mrs." first so that "Mr." is in front of the last name, as he was the original owner of the title.

I often wonder these things.  And then wonder how many little details I just don't know.  I think I should spend more time with my mom and grandma.  They are such a wealth of knowledge in everything domestic.  I should spend a night with my mother-in-law learning how to make and ice perfect sugar cookies.  I love decorating and organizing my house.  And I do it well. Pretty sure if I had decided to be a stay at home mom, I would be the BEST stay at home mom ever.  As it stands, I'm a pretty decent cook, but give me a lot more time and little more experience and I think I would be come a damn good cook.  None of this is because I am overly talented at any of it.  It's because I like to strive for excellence in every part of my life.  I don't want to make food if it's not enjoyable. I don't want to make my bed if it's not perfect.  I just do not enjoy doing things, if I am not doing them right. In fact, I quickly give up and abandon projects that aren't turning out right.  My house is a mess more often than not, because I can't organize and clean it as thoroughly as I desire.  Ugh.  Please, can we just have 37 hour days!?

No comments: