Sunday, October 2, 2011

Worn Thin

Lately, when Matt and I find time to attend a social event, inevitably, in the small talk conversations with acquaintances, the question, "How do you do it?" comes up. And this question is nearly always pointed at me. And is usually in reference to taking care of 2 children, with a 3rd on the way, while working 60-90 hour weeks. The thing is, I can't take care of 2 children and work that much. Nope, not possible to be in 2 places at once, I'm afraid. So I am not "doing it". Matt is working his 40 hours. Then HE is coming home and taking care of 2 children, 2 dogs, a cat, a fish and a 4 bedroom, 3 story house.

Sure, I run to the grocery store, or Target when I can. I leave little to-do lists. I empty or fill the dishwasher here and there. I even make dinner if I am home by 5:30 or 6. I throw the kids in the bath if I have a moment. I change their diapers. I am sometimes home in time to even give Curtis his bottle before bed. But, I am not running the show here. Matt dresses the kids everyday, gets them to daycare, or his mother's on days Brock has school. He packs their lunches, backpacks, diaper bags. He takes them to the doctor if their sick and gives them their medicine. He mows the lawn. He paints the deck.

And while doing all of this, he continues to work on his own photography business and passion. He edits photos when everyone has gone to bed, including myself. He has photo shoot opportunities nearly every weekend, which he has to turn down frequently so that his wife will remain sane, and his children cared for. He is working just as much as I am, if not more. There is always something to be done, and never enough time to do it. We just take each day as it comes, and try to enjoy ourselves as we go...it seems to be working.
So, from now on, whenever I am asked how I do it, I simply point to Matt. And say, I can do it, because of him.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Ditto. Ryan Toma. Much love to our wonderful husbands. You do a great job too Erin!