Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What's Luck Got to do With It?

I severely dislike and disagree with the statement, "I am so lucky to be married to my best friend."

You are not "lucky" to have married your best friend. You SHOULD marry your best friend, and this SHOULD be a conscious decision, not some kind of lottery. If any of you are not married to your best friend, then quick, get out of that relationship! I feel this so strongly, that I kind of assumed that your significant other, spouse, etc. was removed from the "best friend" running. It's not even a fair game if they are included in the options, is it? Thus making me dislike this statement even more...how degrading to even put your spouse in that category.

If you are having a hard time following, let's take it back a step farther. How does one define the term "best friend"? Simply stated, by the online dictionary: n. the one friend who is closest to you. But I polled a few people, and replies ranged from:

  • The person you not only spend most of your time with but you enjoy that time.
  • Someone you call often, but never out of obligation (or rarely).
  • The one person who knows you best (and still likes you).
  • The first person you think to call when something interesting/funny/tragic happens.
  • #2 on your speed dial (#1 being Voicemail, duh).
  • You would never hesitate to bail them out and expect nothing in return & vice versa.

I don't know about you and your relationship, but this definitely describes my spouse, and then some. Sure, there are others that touch these statements, but no one, except Matt, encompasses them all. And FOR SURE no one but Matt surpasses them.

My whole point is, give yourself some credit. Luck didn't have anything to do with your current relationship. Own up to your decisions, and stand proud. Flat out say, I love that I married my favorite person in the whole world, I made the right decision.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

LOVE this! Couldn't agree more! Actually, now that I've read your post, I'm sure I will find it annoying when I hear this comment (common, yes?) again.

write on :).